Company: The Greater Des Moines Partnership
The Graphic Designer plays the role of overseeing all visual communication and branding for the Greater Des Moines Partnership and Partnership-managed initiatives, campaigns and events. The position plays a vital role within the Communications and Marketing team, serving the organization’s creative and design needs. This person will work closely with the Communications and Marketing team to achieve success for all organization marketing and communications materials. The position requires excellent graphic design and organizational skills.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Listed below are fundamental job duties that an individual who holds this position must be able to perform without assistance of a reasonable accommodation. This list is not comprehensive, as other duties, in addition to essential job functions, will be assigned as necessary.
1. Oversee design projects for The Partnership and all Partnership-managed areas of work, initiatives, campaigns, events and others as assigned, including working with project coordinators to develop/understand expectations for each project, and ensure completion is done within the quality standards and time frames expected.
2. Collaborates with Director of Marketing on creative direction for DSM USA, Downtown DSM USA and event campaigns (Downtown Farmers’ Market, World Food & Music Festival, Out to Lunch, DSM Book Festival and others as the need arises) through visuals and design.
3. Design or oversees all internal and external communications and promotional materials, including but not limited to newsletters, brochures, posters, postcards, flyers, advertisements, prospect packaging, tradeshow enhancements, digital and online enhancements and PowerPoint or video design concepts that are consistent with The Partnership’s brand and identity.
4. Act as the brand manager and style guide expert of all Partnership-managed initiatives, campaigns and events.
5. Lead creative direction for photoshoots in alignment with brand standards.
6. Enhance the appearance and professionalism of materials and digital products promoting the organization and all work managed by The Partnership.
7. Work with Partnership Member and Investor vendors to manage and produce outsourced projects. These could include but are not limited to printers, promotional item vendors, exhibit producers, photographers, freelancers, etc. Manages and oversees the print production process with outsourced vendors (request for proposals, design, layout and prepress) including tracking of vendor expenditures in master spreadsheet and timely processing of invoices.
8. Provide digital design support-including, but not limited to creation of websites, PowerPoints, Prezi, e-newsletters, templates, printed materials and photo editing.
9. Work in close collaboration with Director of Marketing and Digital Media Specialist on video library needs. Oversees photo and video assets to ensure they are in line with organization and regional creative direction.
10. Contribute to the success of Partnership-managed publications and communications.
11. Oversee logo placement outside company jurisdiction such as co-sponsored events or promotions, in cooperation with Director of Marketing.
12. Provide staff support for Partnership events as needed.
13. Oversee and manage design intern(s), contracted designers and freelancers with project coordination assistance provided by Communications and Marketing Project Coordinator and Communications and Marketing Specialist.
14. Support the realization of Communications and Marketing team goals, including usage of CRM/CMS/project management software to effectively and proactively serve the team’s goals.
15. Serve as a role model within the organization and a positive representative of The Partnership in the community.
16. Conduct oneself in a manner consistent with organization values, goals and objectives.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Describe the minimum requirements necessary to perform successfully on this job. Be as specific as possible.
Bachelors degree in Art, Design, Graphic Design or related field, associate degree considered with additional experience. Education or training that includes project creation, organization, development and production of communications and/or marketing materials.
OTHER FORMAL TRAINING: N/A
EXPERIENCE: 2+ years design and project management experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Excellent creative, composition and computer design skills required. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications Proficiency with graphic print production and desktop publishing software required:
Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat)
Basic understanding of CMS.
Working knowledge of the print production process (request for proposals, design, layout and prepress) including thorough understanding of graphic file formats.
Photography skills needed, included photo editing and enhancing, as well as experience in photo library organization.
Strong interpersonal skills, can express and present ideas, listen well, and work in a team environment.
Solid time management skills, ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize and meet deadlines.
Working knowledge of MAC and PC Operating Systems. Day-to-day work will be performed on MAC.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS (SIGNIFICANT LIFTING/STANDING/SITTING):
The majority of work is conducted in the office at a desk. There is a significant amount of computer work.
There is some prolonged standing while overseeing or providing staff support for various organizational activities and events.
There is also some lifting required during special events or projects and in maintaining supplies of communications materials and/or products.