Senior Content Strategist - Media Relations
Company: Grinnell College
The Senior Content Strategist will play a central role in advancing the awareness and reputation of one of the most respected and selective colleges in the country—right here in Iowa. Grinnell College, a private liberal arts college in Iowa founded in 1846, provides individually advised learning for intellectually engaged students to produce graduates who are prepared navigate the world’s complexities and responsibly contribute to the common good. Within a highly collaborative team environment, partner with other communications staff members and campus stakeholders to steward the College’s brand and express it in the most exciting and effective ways for external audiences.
As Senior Strategist, this leadership role contributes to the creation of multi-platform content in support of Grinnell’s mission, goals, and strategic priorities, and will:
• Contribute to and implement integrated communication strategies based on a shared understanding of the College, including mission, vision, and values as well as institutional identity and brand strategy; its audiences and stakeholders; and our communications channels.
• Work with stakeholders and team members to develop and execute creative, engaging content that meets project objectives for student recruitment, image-building, and other operations of the College as assigned.
• Use available metrics and analytics to assess and inform content development and share insights and recommendations to improve and optimize content.
• Continue to develop discipline expertise, remain up-to-date with industry best practices, and share skills and knowledge with fellow team members to advance cross-training and strategic integrated communications practices.
• Support the President’s efforts in national thought leadership
• Respond to media queries
• Identify institutional stories and announcements that support our mission
• Work with faculty and senior staff to promote them as subject experts
• Support efforts related to local, regional, and national reputation.
• Develop relationships with key local, regional, and national media to proactively manage story placement about the College.
• Generate compelling content including, but not limited to: media releases, pitches, op-eds, website stories, magazine stories, videos, and social media.
• Provide expert advice on issues management to senior leadership and play a key role in crisis communications.
• Manage the College’s relationship with our external national public relations firm, including collaborative story mining, identification of faculty and senior staff experts, development of op-eds, coordination of campus visits, organization of media interviews and pitches, management of potentially controversial issues, and execution of crisis communications.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum five years’ progressively responsible integrated marketing communications and/or public relations and crisis communications experience.