University of Northern Iowa Wins District 9 National Student Advertising Competition
Congratulations to the University of Northern Iowa on their win at the 2015 District 9 National Student Advertising Competition. They beat out six other district schools for the chance to move on to the semi-finals and, hopefully, the finals at ADmerica.
This year’s corporate sponsor, Pizza Hut, provided a case study outlining the history of its product and current advertising situation. The case study reflected a real world situation to challenge students’ critical thinking abilities and creativity. Students researched the product and its competition, identified potential problems and developed an integrated communications campaign for Pizza Hut. Each student team then pitched its campaign to a panel of judges.
The competing schools included: Drury University, Lindenwood University, Saint Louis University, University of Missouri-Columbia, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Northern Iowa and Webster University.
The top three finishers were:
1. University of Northern Iowa, advised by Matthew Wilson
2. University of Nebraska-Lincoln, advised by Mike Goff and Rich Bailey
2. Webster University, advised by Julie Clark and Michael Whitmer
The following individual awards were also presented:
- Advisor of the Year: Michael Goff, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Best Plans Book Design: Webster University
- Best Plans Book Writing: Drury University
- Best Creative: University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Best Presenter: Taylor Christmas, University of Missouri-Columbia
This year’s judges were:
- Jenna Bromberg, Digital Engagement Manager, Pizza Hut
- Mike Corak, Executive Vice President of Strategy/Managing Partner, ethology
- BO Haynes, Creative Director, Parsons
“My students get so much out of the NSAC experience,” said Matthew Wilson, UNI. “As an educator, NSAC is the closest thing to ‘real world’ advertising industry experience that you can get as a student. Employers tell me that interviewing NSAC team members is like talking to seasoned ad industry veterans with 3-5 years of experience.”
Congratulations to all the schools that competed. We look forward to seeing you again next spring.